Department of investment policy,
projects, international relations,
tourism and city promotion
Ivano-Frankivsk city council
Innovation Development Investment Tourism Business International Cooperation EU Promotion Strategy Market Trade Values Integration Grants Image Diplomacy Partners Projects Features

#CULTROUTE Chernelytsia Castle – ruins that preserve history

2025.09.10

As part of the international project "Thematic Route of Castles 2 (CULT.ROUTE)", implemented under the Interreg VI-A Next Hungary–Slovakia–Romania–Ukraine programme, we continue to introduce you to the rich architectural heritage of Ivano-Frankivsk region.

The town of Chernelytsia, documented in written records dating back to at least 1440, was a significant defensive and economic center of Pokuttia for centuries. Located near the Dnister, the main river artery of the Prykarpattia region, Chernelytsia developed quickly.

In the second half of the 15th century, the main center of settlement shifted from the Horodyshche tract, which had its roots in the princely era, to the central part of modern Chernelytsia. In the second half of the XVI century, the settlement received city privileges. During this period and until 1641, it belonged to the noble family of Buchatsky-Yazlovetsky, to whom it owes much of its development.

The construction of the stone castle, the ruins of which survived to this day, began between 1607 and 1636 on the initiative of Jadwiga Belzhetska from the Yazlovetsky family. The first stage of construction lasted until approximately 1636, and the castle was likely designed as a defensive residence even then. Apparently, the bastion castle (Old Dutch type) was built by the same builders who worked on the construction of the Yazlovetsky fortress on the eastern bank of the Dnister. The second stage of the castle's construction took place between 1650 and 1659, when the Chernelytsia estates were owned by Prince Michal Jerzy Czartoryski and his wife Efrosyniia Czartoryska, who came from the Stanislavski family. 

At that time, the construction of the castle itself and the palace, which was built in the middle of the fortress, was completed. Then, an exquisite stone emblem “Pohonia” used by the family of owners was carved on the facade of the entrance tower. After the construction was completed, the castle became one of the main outposts of the Rzeczpospolita (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) against the threat of Cossack armies, peasant uprisings in Pokuttia, and Tatar raids. As a result, Prince Chartoryiskyi even managed to obtain financial compensation for the costs of completing and fortifying the Chernelytsia Castle.

It should also be mentioned that Prince Michal Czartoryski and his wife Efrosyniia were the founders of the defensive Church of St. Anthony of Padua, built in Chernelytsia near the castle walls in 1661. Later, at the invitation of the princely family, Dominican monks took care of the Chernelytsia church. 

With the growing Ottoman threat in the second half of the XVII century, the castles on the Dnister River gained important defensive significance. During the Polish-Turkish wars of 1672–1683, the Chernelytsia fortress was captured twice by enemy armies. During the reign of King Jan III Sobieski, Chernelytsia was considered one of the main military and logistical centers of Pokuttia, as it was from here that Grand Hetman Stanisław Jabłonowski carried out campaigns against the Turks and their allies.

From the end of the XVII century to the beginning of the XIX century, Chernelytsia Castle served more as a residence than a defensive structure. At that time, the town and castle were owned by the Potocki magnate family. The political battles for the crown of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth also affected Chernelytsia Castle, which was significantly robbed in 1739. Among the lost property, numerous bear skins are mentioned. The castle suffered further robberies during the Bar Confederation in the late 1760s. This, along with poor management, led to the castle falling into disrepair by the end of the XVIII century, and due to the debt obligations of its owner, Petro Potocki, the fortress was pledged to Krzysztof Rylski.

At the beginning of the XIX century, new owners, Mauritius and Theophilia Censki, breathed new life into the castle. Until 1835, the castle was their main residence and housed the family treasures – archives, a library, and a collection of paintings and portraits. Only after Teofilia's death, their son, Nicholas Uldaryk Censki, moved the residence to the village of Vikno. From the mid-XIX century, Chernelytsia Castle was no longer used for its original purpose and changed hands several times. At the end of the XIX century, it became the subject of historical and heritage research.

This publication was produced with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of Department of Investment Policy, Projects, International Relations, Tourism and City Promotion of Ivano-Frankivsk City Council and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.